The Stubborn Optimist
The Stubborn Optimist is resourceful. The Stubborn Optimist improvises. The Stubborn Optimist perseveres.
We've seen a lot of these qualities in our hospitality friends these past weeks so—to the Stubborn Optimist—this one's for you.
This cocktail is about making do with what you have. Whether it's the absinthe your uncle gave you on his travels home from France, last year's stash of fennel seeds, or this year's hoard of chickpeas.
This cocktail is about rising from the dark underworld of an absinthe rinse, to a livelier world where things sparkle and air smells of life. It's about the stubborn seedling that pushes through the snow in search of the sun.
Because in times like these, we all need a Stubborn Optimist.
- 2 oz Silver Swallow Luxury Kombucha
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 oz aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 1 fennel sprout (ours took about a month to grow) or use fennel fronds in a pinch
- 1 oz anise simple syrup (1/3 cup of sugar, 1 tbsp anise seeds)
- 1 oz absinthe
- 1 oz gin
- 1 oz simple syrup (1/3 cup of sugar)
Anise Simple Syrup Steps
1. In a small saucepan add 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water. Add 1 tbsp anise seeds. Heat for 5 minutes.
1. For the alcoholic version, rinse a champagne coupe glass with absinthe and discard
2. Add to a shaker (or large mason jar) lemon juice and aquafaba. For the non alcoholic drink, add anise simple syrup. If you prefer alcohol, add gin.
3. Fill with ice. Shake well. Pour contents into the glass through a strainer
4. Fill with Silver Swallow Luxury Kombucha
5. Garnish with a fennel sprout or frond
We’re excited to announce that we’re resuming production after temporarily pausing during the pandemic. We’re looking forward to celebrating with you!
xoxo, Silver Swallow
p.s. we're also pretty proud that this cocktail won Made With Love's Home Sweet Home cocktail competition. Can't wait to organize a post-pandemic party!